Thursday, December 25, 2008

A looonnngggg Christmas Eve.

Dad and I were up and out of the house by 0800 yesterday, heading up to the MLK Loaves and Fishes center. We'd be delivering all our routes meals through the weekend, so it was nice to have both of us to carry all the food. Dad got word that Elizabeth's daughter Franne would be flying into PDX at 1:15, so we were hoping to get our route done in time.

As it turned out, things went very smoothly: We were able to get our route's food about an hour early, (rather than 10:30,) which allowed us to finish by 11. Then we headed over to St. Johns to pick up Mom, and then headed down Lombard to the airport.

We had lunch at Sharis, and Franne called us just as we finished, good timing! Picking her up was less of a hassle than I feared, and I-84 through town and I-5 to Haines was great! South of that though it was still very rutted in some lanes. I got off at Carman, thinking that 72nd would be a better idea. Wow was I wrong! Suffice it to say that I went back to the interstate. After dropping me and Mom off at the house, Dad and Franne headed south to meet Elizabeth in Salem. That trip, all 43 miles of it, took them two hours. Dad hung out for a while, hoping traffic would die down a little, leaving Salem at 6:00. He made it home about 9:30!

-Bill

No comments: