Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pumpkin Patch and Unintended Consequences

We took Abby to Lee's Farms a couple weeks ago to go through their pumpkin patch. Our little girl had a great time! She is virtually fearless, which is good and bad.

Riding the Pony!



Princess Face Paint!


Abby loved going through the straw maze. She'd come down the slide, run to us and ask, breathlessly, "Can I do it again?!?" Of course you can!



Later Heather brought here girls over. Emma and Abby had a good time playing dress up. Baby Carly just sat there and looked cute.


On to the unintended consequences. A while back, we had some wainscoting installed in the dining room and kitchen. I painted it and it looks great. What no one knew is that one of the brads used to attach it to the wall penetrated one of our copper hot water lines. An eighth inch to either side and it would have glanced off, but it hit dead on, dimpled the copper and put a little hole in it. The brad effectively plugged the hole. However, this formed a galvanic cell between the two dissimilar metals and eventually, (a month,) there was enough corrosion to really let the water out.

Kricket came to me one night and asked why the floor of the garage was covered with water. What??!!?? I mopped it up, but couldn't find a source and figured that the washer had malfunctioned. The next night was even worse, so I pulled out the washer/dryer and started the search.

Eventually, I tracked it down:


I called Peter for some advice, and he graciously offered to come over. Our first attempt to butt-splice it back together didn't work: probably not sufficient surface prep. The second attempt was successful, and ugly!


I've now had a fan blowing on it for about a month and plan to get it patched up over the holidays.

One more picture of my darling daughter.


The new baby is due in a week!

-Bill

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

abby you're the most beautiful girl - now you are a big sister just like me! It's a very important job, I know you will be a great one. I hope to see you soon love Kathy (Emily, Pam and Amy's big sister)